Divorce Modification in Florida

When you signed a divorce agreement with your former spouse, it was an agreement for that moment in time. If the situation does not change substantially, it can be considered a final document. But sometimes life situations change in a dramatic fashion.

Camy B. Schwam-Wilcox is an Orlando divorce modification lawyer who can help you change certain aspects of your divorce agreement/order. Some aspects can be modified, and some cannot. During divorce, you may have agreed to an equitable distribution of your assets and liabilities. Once this is agreed to be ordered, it cannot be changed unless new information is found (such as hidden assets) within one year of the divorce.

When can a Divorce Agreement be Modified?

Typically a divorce agreement/order can be modified when a substantial change happens in the lives of either parent or the children. Examples include:

  • A parent loses a job and becomes unemployed
  • A parent receives a promotion with a significant raise
  • A parent or a child is injured in an accident and incurs significant medical costs
  • A parent or a child becomes disabled or is diagnosed with an illness
  • One of the parents wishes to move more than 50 miles from their current residence

What Divorce Agreements can be Modified?

An experienced Orlando divorce modification lawyer can help you obtain a "modification of orders," which will change your divorce agreement/order. You may modify issues related to money or your children, but you may not modify the division of property. Examples of modification of orders include:

  • Change of holiday or vacation schedule for parental timesharing
  • Change of spousal support amount, timing or duration
  • Change of parental timesharing or custody if one parent wishes to move out of state and take the child to the new location
  • Change of health insurance plans or the responsible parent
  • Change of child support amount

Camy B. Schwam-Wilcox is an Orlando divorce modification attorney with strong problem solving skills who believes in helping families resolve disputes.

Straight Talk and Strong Advocacy for Every Client

If you are in need of a Seminole County DWI attorney, a bankruptcy lawyer, or a family law firm experienced with collaborative divorce, please contact us for a consultation. Call 407-982-2714 or 888-337-5886, or send us an e-mail. We can help you through your difficult time.