There is a strong, yet incorrect, belief that Mothers of children have more rights than unmarried Fathers. In Florida that is simply not the case. Once you are adjudicated the legal Father, you have the same rights as the mother, a potential for child support, equal time-sharing, decision making and it is not just what SHE wants, you actually have a say, as the equal parent.
Here are some common concerns for Fathers:
Will I lose my rights if I move out of the house? NO, no one expects you to stay in a home with a person that you are ending a relationship with, be it a marriage or not.If my name is not on the birth certificate, does that mean I am not the legal Father? No, you can get your name added, it is just evidence that you ARE the legal father if your name is on the birth certificate. You can still file a case if your name is not on the birth certificate.The Mother wants to put the baby up for adoption and I do not, can I stop it? YES, you must list your name on the putative father registry to be sure the Mother does not put the baby up for adoption without your permission.Can I force the Mother to get a DNA test to confirm I am the Father? YESCan I waive my rights so I do not have to pay child support? NO, not unless it is connected to an immediate adoption.
There are many more questions, these are just a few. If you are the father of a child or children and you need some questions answered, you can contact the law firm of Schwam-Wilcox & Associates and speak with an attorney that can answer your questions. You can reach us by calling 407-245-7700, by visiting the website at www.cbswlaw.com or by sending an e-mail to info@cbswlaw.com. Schedule your consult today. When you’re going through your worst, we are at our Best!

Similar Post